I started by soaking the bottles for about half an hour. The labels will become waterlogged and be easier to rip off. Return them to their kiddie pool for awhile and the adhesive will get easier to scratch off. I used a leftover bread clip to spare my nails.
Eventually, the labels will come off with a bit of scrubbing (OK - some will require a LOT of scrubbing). The labels on the brown bottles above were made of metallic paper and the adhesive was apparently super glue. A little vegetable oil helped convince them to leave. I used to swear by Goo Gone, but now I'm inclined to think it makes Al Gore and the polar bears cry.
Next up, the bottles went into a sink full of scorching hot water and dish soap. They soaked for awhile before I scrubbed the residual cooties off of them.
Once they'd been rinsed and dried, Beau filled them up with home brew. He used a bottle capper and some fresh caps to close them up.
Lastly, I slapped on some labels made by the Beer Labelizer to distinguish between the IPAs and the ales.
Thanks to the scavenged bottles, we pulled together enough containers to have a proper taste test this weekend.